Monday 6 June 2011

Good Friday - the holiday

Thursday, 21 April 2011

 

The campus looked a bit deserted when I entered the college today. There were some girls at the hostel stairs, some others were walking round the main building in their casuals as a morning exercise and still others were trying to drop mulberries from the tree near parking stand. I thought they were given time for reading as their exam is due on 26th of April and so they are idling away time like this. The parking stand was devoid of vehicles and I wondered: How come I am the first to arrive today? I parked my bike, adjusted the bag and started towards the main door. Students started laughing at me the moment they show me. When I took a turn, a bevy of walkers met me and greeted : Jay shree Krishn, sir" I Repeated the same. Then they exchanged some gleeful glances. After a hearty laugh they asked in the chorus:

"Why have you come today? Didn't you consult the calender? Today is holiday"

"Holiday? For what?" I asked.

"It is Good Friday today!!" Again they shouted in chorus.

I looked at the gate. It was close.I remembered Nayana told me about the holiday on the Good Friday before two days when I called her, but today I totally forgot. So careless of me! How couldn't I remember that it is Good Friday today and it is a public holiday.I put my fingers on my forehead, feeling embarrased. They giggled! How would they miss such a chance to make fun of their nutty English teacher!!!

I asked them:

"Do you know why it is holiday? What happened today?"

A chorus "No"

"Becasue Jesus was crudified today"

"But there is nothing GOOD in it!"

I took some time to explain them why it was a Good Friday.

" Now what will you do, sir?"

" Even I am considering that question: What shall I do now?...If I knew this, I would have gone to Jetpur"

" Why?"

" To meet one of my recent kin"

My answer was followed by a barrage of queries regarding the kin. I avoided the queries tactfully and left. I didn't want to return home, so I loitered in the market, did some shopping, bought some magazines and the newspaper and came to cyber cafe to take this opportunity to talk to the readers of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment