Monday 6 June 2011

I dream of Jeannie - "YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND, MASTER"

Friday, 12 March 2010


I dream of Jeannie - "YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND, MASTER"

.
While surfing on tv yesterday I came across a scene which made me experience a sort of deja vu.I thought I had seen that visual somewhere in the past. I surfed back and reached the channel and it was : I DREAM OF JEANNIE going on a channel(Zee Cafe).

It was one of my favourite serials in childhood or teenage. I don't know the year but at that time we did not use to have so many channels available on tv as we have now. I used to see this serial on Sony which was followed by another of my favourite : Danish the manace. Both these serials were dubbed in Hindi and I found them so amusing and fascinating that I never missed one single episode. I must have been around 15 at that time. "I dream of Jeannie" was more amusing than "Danish the menace" because it was about magic. I can still remember the eagerness with which I waited for its telecast.

It was a sitcom which was actually telecast on tv in 1965(to 1970)in US. It contained 139 episodes in all(30 black and white and 109 in colour). Famous tv actress Barbara Eden assayed the role of a gennie who was trapped in the bottle for 2000 years. Larry Hagman assayed the role of an astronaut named Anthony(Tony) Nelson working with US Air Force. While on a space flight, he(Tony)lands on an island in the South Pacific as a result of some technical problem. On the beach he notices a strange bottle that rolls by itself. He picks it up and opens the stopper and rubs it. Smokes starts shooting out and a persian-speaking female genie(wearing an enticing harem castume) materializes and kisses Tony on the lips with passion. She helps him to get off the island and reach back to US. Tony does not want her service any more so he tells her that she is free and can go anywhere she wishes. But Jeannie(the female genie)doesn't want to go away from such a benevolent and handsome master. She enters her bottle and the bottle goes inside the bag of Tony and thus Jeannie reaches US with her new master.

Then comes the series of imbroglios that keeps happening to Tony. Jeannie falls in love with her master and is ready to do anything to make his life more and more comfortable. But it is irony that in doing so she creates all sort of awkward situation in his life that make us laugh.

Watching this serial is as amusing and fascinating as it was 15 years back



No comments:

Post a Comment